From Diablo Wiki
Players must assemble the five ingredients and the Staff of Herding plan to enter the level.
- Black Mushroom ( )-- Found rarely in a room on Cathedral level one, in early Act One.
- Leoric's Shinbone ( )-- Found rarely in the fireplace in Leoric's Manor, in late Act One.
- (Leoric's Shinbone is *not* present or required in the Diablo 3 console.)
- To farm for this select Quest number 9 "The Imprisoned Angel" in the Change Quest menu when you log in. Take the Waypoint to Leoric's Manor. You will have two rooms to fight from the back of the manor to reach the room with the fireplace in.
- Wirt's Bell ( )-- An Act II vendor (Squirt) sells it for 100,000 gold on her Potions and Dyes tab.
- Liquid Rainbow (Mysterious Cave in the Mysterious Chest in the Oasis, Act 2. Save Zaven the Alchemist and he will open the entrance to the cave. The chest is located on level one.
)-- Spawns in the
- (Liquid Rainbow is *not* present or required in the Diablo 3 console.)
- Gibbering Gemstone ( )-- Random drop from Chiltara in the Caverns of Frost, Level 2, Act 3. It’s in the Fields of Slaughter. If you get Ice Caverns exit out try again. Chiltara is a Superunique with a low spawn chance.
- Plan: Staff of Herding ( )-- To teach the recipe to Haedrig. Drops randomly from Izual, Act 4.
Once the Staff is created, it can be upgraded to the Nightmarish Staff of Herding, Hellish Staff of Herding, or Infernal Staff of Herding via Gorell the Quartermaster, an NPC merchant found in the town section of Bastion's Keep.
Locating the Mysterious Cave
- From the Quest Selection screen take Act II quest No. 6. Betrayer of the Horadrim.
- Take the Waypoint in the Hidden Camp to the Path to the Oasis. You'll get a Checkpoint as soon as you materialise.
- Go down the Path to the Oasis and into the Dahlgur Oasis
- Go right hugging the edge of the map and take the first right. This is a small cul-de-sac with a waterfall and could be where Zaven appears. If not go straight back out and head north.
- Hug the right edge of the map and eventually you will come to another identical cul-de-sac. This is the second location Zaven could be. He could be in neither.
- If he is not, leave the game and Resume Game to appear back at the Path to the Oasis.
- You might consider only looking for the first spot he can appear in as that is so close to the Waypoint in the Path to the Oasis so it is very quick to see he isn't there and restart. You can see by the Dahlgur Oasis map that the spot further north is quite a trek and you'll be pestered by beasties on the way up too.
- When you've found and saved Zaven the Mysterious Cave will open behind him and this is where you may find the Liquid Rainbow, one of the ingredients needed for the Staff of Herding. It will appear in a Mysterious Chest which has a possibility of spawning (doesn't always).
This is just one of the two places Zaven can spawn. The other location is northeast but still on the bottom of the map. Both spawn points are highlighted here: Mysterious Cave Location
Once you do find the Mysterious Cave you now have to look for another random spawn but this time its a chest. The Mysterious Chest can be found on level 1 and possibly level 2 of the Mysterious Cave. Do not confuse this with the Resplendent Chest though they do look the same. Inside the chest will be the liquid rainbow. Note: The chest does not appear in every cave, every time. In order to get the Liquid Rainbow you will have to first "find" the Cave then "find" the chest.
|Items of Diablo III  Item Basics Normal Items Crafting Legendary Armor I Legendary Armor II Legendary Weapons 1h Legendary Weapons 2h Item Sets|
|Item Basics||Item Affixes||Interface||Artisans||Miscellaneous |
• Prefixes & Suffixes
|Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls Item Sets||Reaper of Souls only |
Crafted Item Sets
Crafted Item Sets
Themed Item Sets