This effect creates a small spiky blue ball which looks similar to a Frozen bomb. Unlike Frozen, the Frozen Pulse seeks after targets, moving quickly to lock into place directly on top of a target. Once in position, the Frozen Pulse activates, "pulsing" out cold causing damage and a slowing, chilling effect to anything in the (small) radius of effect.
- Monster Level Minimum: 12
- Available to: Random Elites and some Uniques. (Not Champions or Minions.)
- Damage Type: Cold, plus CC slowing effect.
- Additional Resistances: Unknown.
- Can Not Spawn With: No limits.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Frozen Pulse is harmless when it first appears. The damage and chilling only begins once the orb moves to find a target, then stops and starts to pulse. If players move quickly enough, the orb will never get on top of a target to start pulsing. In that case it will simply give up after a few seconds and start pulsing wherever it is.
A more skillful way to deal with Frozen Pulse is to let it reach you, then to move quickly once it locks into place and starts to pulse. The orbs will not move again once they've activate, and they can be easily avoided once they are stationary.
Frozen pulse vs. Frozen[edit | edit source]
The graphics for Frozen Pulse and Frozen look similar when both attacks are in their formative stages, though their behavior is very different.
- Frozen spawns multiple "balls" at the same time from each Elite or Champion or Unique casting them. Each Frozen starts off as a smooth snowball, and they all float in place, rotating as they grow larger and more spiky and jagged, until they reach maximum size and explode in a freezing blast.
- Frozen Pulse appears one at a time and it's fully-formed and spiky right from the start. After being summoned, the Frozen Pulse moves quickly, like a heat-seaking Roomba, and will set up shop directly on top of a player. Once it has found a target and stopped moving the spiky orb will commence pulsing for a few seconds, dealing cold damage and slowing/chilling anything in the vicinity.
Media[edit | edit source]
A video showing Frozen Pulse in action.
References[edit | edit source]
- BlizzCon 2013 Monster Affixes Report - IncGamers.Com, 10/11/13
|Monsters of Diablo III Beasts Beasts: Superunique Demons Demons: Superunique Humans Humans: Superunique Undead Undead: Superunique Objects Bosses Boss Mods Monster Info Fanmade|
Bat - Beast - Blood Hawk - Demonic Hellflyer - Electric Eel - Khazra - Lacuni - Lamprey - Quill Fiend - Rockworm - Sand Monster - Sand Shark - Sand Wasp - Scavenger - Spider - Spiderling - Swarm - Withermoth - Wood Wraith -
|Primary Quest Uniques||
Act One Bosses:
Skeleton King -
The Warden -
Strong CC (Limit 1): Knockback -- Nightmarish -- Vortex -- Jailer
|Act One Uniques||Araneae - Web Spit||Leoric - Summon Skeleton, Teleport Strike, Triple Cleave||The Butcher - Smash, Grappling Hook, Spear, Frenzy Charge|
|Act Two Uniques||Maghda - Forcefield, Summoning Ritual, Punish, Moth Dust, Teleport.||Zoltan Kulle - Fiery Boulder, Time Bubble, Ceiling Collapse, Energy Twister,Vanish, Creepy Laugh||Belial - Phase One: Triple Fireball, Summon Vipers. Phase Two: Poison Meteors, Ground Pound, Lightning Strike, Lightning Breath.|
|Act Three Uniques||Ghom - Acid Slime, Sneeze, Gas Cloud, Chomp.||Siegebreaker - Triple Hit, Charge, Leg Stomp, Grab and Throw.||Cydaea - Pain Bolts, Web Trap, Spider Pits.||Azmodan - Bellyflop, Laser Attack, Falling Corpses, Demon Gate, Pool of Destruction, Globe of Annihilation.|
|Act Four Uniques||Rakanoth - Cleave, Teleport Strike, Blade Strike, Volley, Summon Minion.||Izual - Frost Nova, Frozen, Summon Minions.|| Diablo - Phase One: Claw Rip, Charge, Hell Spikes, Shadow Vanish Grab, Curse of Destruction, Ring of Fire, Ground Stomp, Curse of Anguish, Curse of Hatred. |
Phase Two: Shadow Clone. Phase Three: Overdrive, Lightning Breath.