From Diablo Wiki
It can be found in the of Caverns of Frost in The Fields of Slaughter located in Act III. Within the Fields of Slaughter there is a cave that can spawn in one of five or six locations (detailed in the maps below).
If you are trying to farm for the item then it's easiest to select the Siegerbreaker (Start Quest) quest from the Quest Selection screen. This will give you The Bridge of Korsikk Waypoint which is always at the very bottom of the Fields of Slaughter.
Tips for consoles: Another way to farm the area without going out to the FoS, is to check the bounties available in Act III before running off to the Fields of Slaughter… Occasionally, 1 of the Bounties in Act III will send you to either the Caverns of Frost or the Icefall Caves. These dungeons are NOT always on the bounty list, but when they are, checking the list can save a lot of wasted time. If you see CoF on the bounty you'll already know it will be the dungeon spawned in FoS until bounties are all completed and reset, so you can head right out. But if you see Icefall Caves on the bounty list, don't waist time heading out to the Fields, cause the dungeon needed to complete the active bounty will always spawn until reset. If you killed Chiltara or didn't get the correct dungeon to spawn, all you need do is start logging out and back in. You may get the same bounties 2 or 3 times in a row, (ie. Clear level 2 in Icefall Caves) that's normal chance, just repeat steps.
Once you have located the Caverns of Frost, head to level 2 and find the Superunique Lacuni, Chiltara. He has a chance to drop the Gibbering Gemstone.
There is no guarantee that he will spawn, but when he does he will drop the Gibbering Gemstone.
As of Patch 2.0.5, Blizzard has raised Chiltara's spawn to be A LOT higher, with increasing chance to spawn per level of difficulty setting, but they have the lowered drop rates in order to balance the stats/roll chance and keep this item as the hardest to acquire in the entire game.
The Gemstone is Account Bound so it can not be traded for.
Other Reagents Required
Players must assemble the five ingredients and the Staff of Herding plan to enter the level.
- Black Mushroom ( )-- Found rarely in a room on Cathedral level one, in early Act One.
- Leoric's Shinbone ( )-- Found rarely in the fireplace in Leoric's Manor, in late Act One.
- (Leoric's Shinbone is *not* present or required in the Diablo 3 console.)
- To farm for this select Quest number 9 "The Imprisoned Angel" in the Change Quest menu when you log in. Take the Waypoint to Leoric's Manor. You will have two rooms to fight from the back of the manor to reach the room with the fireplace in.
- Wirt's Bell ( )-- An Act II vendor (Squirt) sells it for 100,000 gold on her Potions and Dyes tab.
- Liquid Rainbow ( )-- Spawns in the Mysterious Cave in the Mysterious Chest in the Oasis, Act 2. Save Zaven the Alchemist and he will open the entrance to the cave. The chest is located on level one.
- (Liquid Rainbow is *not* present or required in the Diablo 3 console.)
- Gibbering Gemstone (Chiltara in the Caverns of Frost, Level 2, Act 3. It’s in the Fields of Slaughter. If you get Ice Caverns exit out try again. Chiltara is a Superunique with a low spawn chance. )-- Random drop from
- Plan: Staff of Herding ( )-- To teach the recipe to Haedrig. Drops randomly from Izual, Act 4.
Once the Staff is created, it can be upgraded to the Nightmarish Staff of Herding, Hellish Staff of Herding, or Infernal Staff of Herding via Gorell the Quartermaster, an NPC merchant found in the town section of Bastion's Keep.
Map of Fields of Slaughter
|Items of Diablo III  Item Basics Normal Items Crafting Legendary Armor I Legendary Armor II Legendary Weapons 1h Legendary Weapons 2h Item Sets|
|Item Basics||Item Affixes||Interface||Artisans||Miscellaneous |
• Prefixes & Suffixes
|Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls Item Sets||Reaper of Souls only |
Crafted Item Sets
Crafted Item Sets
Themed Item Sets
- [us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12673457344?page=2#21 Blizzard, for the past two weeks...]-Blizzard, via Grimiku 15/04/15