From Diablo Wiki
Puzzle Ring is a legendary ring that can be found in Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls. This item can be found and equipped by any class.
The Smart Drop system ensures that this ring will usually roll with the mainstat appropriate to the class that finds it. Rings are considered an offensive item, and most players insist upon bonuses to Critical hit Chance and/or Critical hit Damage, while seeking mainstat as well.
Puzzle Ring properties
This item has one of the more creative legendary affixes in the game. It summons a Treasure Goblin who follows your character around, picking up white items. Every 12-16 items (number set when ring first rolls) he'll drop a rare item, or occasionally a legendary item.
The goblin looks just like a normal goblin but as a pet it can not be targeted or attacked. It makes all the usual goblin sound effects, chuckling and giggling and most players find it amusing, though occasionally confusing as they mistake it (visually or audibly) for a real goblin.
- All stats listed in the database scale up to the level of this item when dropped.
- See the sample screenshots below to see how this item will roll at level 70.
Puzzle Ring: Legendary ring
Clearly the product of an ingenious and befuddling mind,
Several examples of this item equipped on level 70 characters can be seen below. View hundreds more samples of the Puzzle Ring via DiabloNut's armory.
Puzzle Ring Evolution
The Puzzle Ring has changed repeatedly since Diablo 3's launch, on a lengthy journey to become the useful item it is today.
Diablo 3 Classic version
The ring was present in Diablo 3 from the start, but never had much use in the Diablo 3 vanilla version of the game. Like all legendaries below level 60 it was only useful around the level it dropped at, (31 for this item) since legendary items didn't scale up in level prior to Loot 2.0. Furthermore, the ring required the goblin to pick up 40 white items to spawn a rare or legendary, which took forever, even with the much higher white item drop rates in D3v.
(That said, white items had zero use at that point, since white materials weren't in the game, so the goblin would eventually scrounge up 40 of them if a player played through most of an Act in one game. The ring was only level 31 so not usable on a character in the end game, but the ring worked if equipped on a Follower.)
The items the Goblin dropped were set by the difficulty level the player was in. This was before scaling difficulty levels, back in the days of 4 tiers of difficulty that had to be replayed to progress. The level of the items the goblin dropped was set by the difficulty level, with no regard for which Act the player was in.
- Normal - lvl 13
- Nightmare - lvl 35
- Hell - lvl 53
- Inferno - lvl 61
The Puzzle Ring in Loot 2.0
The Puzzle Ring was one of the legendary items previewed in late 2013 when the developers began talking up Reaper of Souls and the improvements they had planned for legendary items in Loot 2.0, and the changes to the stats excited players.
Not long after that the Reaper of Souls beta began, and there players got to try out the Puzzle Ring. There were problems since Blizzard hadn't updated the ring to match the new game version. Loot 2.0 changed drop rates for everything, and made white items much less likely to drop, essentially limiting them to armor racks. And even if white items could be found, players needed to pick up them up and salvage them for white materials, which were required in most crafting recipes in the RoS beta.
A beta tester commented on the ring in December 2013.)
- I had one of those rings during the first week of the beta, wore it while leveling up my Crusader, and never did get the item to proc. Finding 40 white items in the live game wouldn’t be a problem, but it’s very different in RoS or on the PTR. 1) total item spam and especially white items are *way* reduced in Loot 2.0, 2) you actually want to pick up white and gray items to salvage them, since most of the new legendary recipes require huge stacks of common materials, and 3) with all crafting materials BoA you have to find them yourself.
Reaper of Souls post-release buff
Blizzard lowered the number of items required from 40 to (12-16) when Reaper of Souls launched, but the ring still had some other issues, which were addressed in a patch in May 2014.)
- Legendary drop chance doubled
- Rare items dropped will now always have six affixes
- The counter for picking up normal-quality items will now persist through death, act transitions, and un-equipping the item
- It still will not persist across game sessions
- The goblin will now play a sound when its counter reaches max and it drops an item
Many players want more fixes; a visible counter of how many items the goblin has grabbed, and a more visible sight when the goblin drops the item, and those may come in the future.
- Ring on Followers - Blizzard, 22/08/12
- Puzzle Ring problems - Diablo.IncGamers.com 20/12/13
- Puzzle Ring upgraded - Blizzard, 15/05/14
|Items of Diablo III  Item Basics Normal Items Crafting Legendary Armor I Legendary Armor II Legendary Weapons 1h Legendary Weapons 2h Item Sets|
|Item Basics||Item Affixes||Interface||Artisans||Miscellaneous |
• Prefixes & Suffixes
|Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls Item Sets||Reaper of Souls only |
Crafted Item Sets
Crafted Item Sets
Themed Item Sets
Copyright IncGamers Ltd 2016