From Diablo Wiki
The Ancient Device is not an event, but it contains so many variations of content similar enough to an event to be considered for the category. Much like an event, the Ancient Device often houses a dungeon, and there's also an achievement called Wheel of Misfortune for fulfilling every possible variation that the device can offer.
There are ten different outcomes that the device has to offer, from a treasure chest to a dungeon with a killer chicken, and they are chosen at random, roulette-style.
 Possible Outcomes
The below possible outcomes of using the ancient device are not listed in any particular order. By appearances and testing, it's possible that they all have the same probability to spawn.
- The Veiled Treasure - a small dungeon with numerous Resplendent Chests inside will spawn, complete with elite packs. There is also a high probability of a Treasure Goblin spawning, as well.
- The Fowl Lair - This dungeon contains an enemy that is most horrendous and revolting. With grease.
- A pile of Diseased Bodies will spawn, which in turn will spawn a group of Betrayed.
- A group of Bone Warriors will spawn (and can spawn as elites).
- A group of Vile Swarms will spawn.
- A plain treasure chest will appear, with a randomized drop.
- A Resplendent Chest will spawn.
- Gold will rain down in small doses, like that of the Countess's chest in Diablo II.
- A Superunique Sand Golem named Ernutet, Guardian of the Veiled Treasure will spawn, along with two companions. He has the illusionist boss modifier.
- An ancient urn will spawn. It breaks easily.
- Nothing all appears on the platform.
 Farming For the Ancient Device
- From the Quest No.8 Black Soulstone > Realm of Shadow.
- Take the Waypoint from the Hidden Camp to the Archives of Zoltun Kulle.
- As soon as you land, head left to the exit from the Archives into the Desolate Sands. You will get a Checkpoint as you near the exit.
- Head right over the bridge and into the sands. A short way in is the first location the Ancient Device can spawn (1). Look for steps up to the device.
- If none are there Teleport to town and take the Waypoint to the Ancient Path.
- A short way from the end of the path into the Sands is the second possible spawn point (2). Look for steps up to the device.
- If the Ancient Device does not spawn in either location leave game and resume. Head down the portal from the Hidden Camp directly to the exit from the Archives of Zoltun Kulle and start the hunt again.
 Associated Achievements
Ancient Device is in some way involved in the following achievement(s).
| Wheel of Misfortune
|10||Experience all the possibilities of the Ancient Device in the Desolate Sands.|
A video by user lyesalot showing each outcome of the ancient device:
|Quests & Events of Diablo III  Act I Act II Act III & Act IV Act V|
|Act I Quests||Act I Events |
• The Fallen Star
|Act II Quests||Act II Events |
|Quests Act III||Events Act III||Quests Act IV |