From Diablo Wiki
Pickup Radius is a character property that determines how close a character must be to health orbs or gold on the ground in order to automatically pick them up. While Pickup Radius is largely a convenience with gold, it can be life or death with health orbs, and many classes and builds require health orbs not just for healing, but for resource management or other skill effects, where more radius greatly boosts the utility of abilities.
The default pickup radius is about 3 yards (in game terms), and the character window displays how much that base value is being increased by. Increased pickup radius affixes can spawn on most types of items, and a number of legendary and set items offer an increase to this stat as an inherent property.
Beyond mere convenience, a number of character builds require or are greatly improved by larger pickup radius since various skills trigger effects each time a health orb is grabbed, or trigger proc effects if monsters die within a character's pickup radius.
Pickup Radius on Items
Pickup Radius was nerfed considerably in Loot 2.0. Prior to that, Pickup Radius increases on gear ranged from 2-7 yards, and on level 60 gear the affix was worth +5-7 yards. At that point players considered at least 5 yards as almost mandatory, and most players tried to get 2 or 3 affixes to Pickup Radius, just for the convenience of gold vacuuming.
Gear in D3v2 and RoS have much smaller Pickup Radius values, and these days random secondary affixes add just 1-2 yards to pickup radius. A very few legendary items can add larger values, but on the whole most characters in D3v2 and Reaper of Souls have much lower values in Pickup Radius than characters did in the initial version of Diablo 3.
Pickup Radius can occur via a random affix on all types of armor, in the 1-2y secondary affix. A few legendary items have 1-2y pickup radius as an inherent property, meaning it will always spawn on them. A very few legendary items have more than 1-2y bonuses.
- Chest Armor
- +4-6y: Profane Pauldrons
- +1-2y: Warzechian Armguards
- Inherent Lut Socks 3 yards.
Pickup Radius can not appear as a random affix on:
- Weapons (all types).
- Offhand items (shields, quivers, mojos, sources)
- +20y: Thing of the Deep (WD only)
- +1-2y: Stolen Ring
Early iterations of Paragon 2.0 had the ability to add Paragon Points to increase Pickup Radius. That changed during development and when Paragon 2.0 went live there was no longer a Pickup Radius value to modify.
Skills and Pickup Radius
No skills boost pickup radius, but all skills that proc with health orbs benefit greatly from increased pickup radius. There are also several skills that function via a radius from the character, and in some cases the area of effect is boosted by pickup radius.
By far the most impactful is the Witch Doctor, who has an entire build largely predicated on high pickup radius. The legendary mojo Thing of the Deep is much-valued by Witch Doctors for the overall stats, but especially for the +20 yards to pickup radius; a bonus equivalent to any 10-20 pickup radius affixes in the game.
- Circle of Life -- Whenever an enemy dies within 12 yards, there is a 30% chance that a Zombie Dog will automatically emerge. The range of this effect is increased by items that increase your gold pickup radius.
- Gruesome Feast -- Whenever you are healed by a health globe, you gain 10% of your maximum Mana and 10% Intelligence for 10 seconds. The Intelligence bonus can stack up to 5 times.
- Grave Injustice -- Whenever an enemy dies within 8 yards, regain 2% of your maximum Life and Mana and the cooldown on all of your abilities is reduced by 1 second. This range is extended by items that increase your gold pickup radius.
No other class benefits nearly as much from Pickup Radius as the Witch Doctor. The closest is the Demon Hunter, via her Vengeance passive skill. More pickup radius makes Vengeance much quicker/easier to recharge.
- Vengeance -- Your maximum Hatred is increased by 25. In addition, gain 20 Hatred and 2 Discipline whenever you are healed by a health globe.
- Reaper's Wraps serve much the same function as Vengeance, granting any class who wears them resource per health globe. Pickup Radius is of obvious use with this item.
- Health globes restore 25–30% of your primary resource.
The Diablo 3 Developers have talked about implementing additional skills that would trigger procs via health orbs, and those would obviously benefit from pickup radius. This is only speculation at this point, though.