From Diablo Wiki
I had to archive my talk page even further, as it was once again getting long. Welcome to the new one, feel free to leave any messages at the bottom of the page!
You can find the old ones above on the navigation. Please don't edit those one! :P If you want to continue on older topics, make a new one and bring it up like if it was a new one. I brought over a few topics that are a bit recent.
I peek back and find.. 1500 spam posts. I don't think blocking the individual accounts will help much; they seem to make an account per post. Semi-blocking account creation (putting the Page Creation right into a usergroup that's only granted to real users by hand) for a few days may or may not help; it would at least stop them from making more pages. I don't think you're going to be able to wait this one out.
Also, are you going to delete the spam pages, or just leave them there? (just curious) --Vipermagi 10:52, 6 July 2010 (UTC)
- Hey man! Indeed so. We've been spammed. Not 1500, more like a few hundred (280 or so). I have now manually banned them all, I hope no real users were banned in the process. Will start deleting pages now. Rushster was adamant to not have manual confirmation of users, so that's not happening, but he has installed Re-Captcha, and the second that went live, it seemed to stop, so good tidings. This could have gone on for a week if we were unlucky!
- I Don't think you have permissions to delete pages, but if you do, go ahead and help me delete them. :)
- PS, you like the new navboxes? :)--Leord 13:36, 6 July 2010 (UTC)
- WOW! I went to do my daily web surf and saw that stack of deleted pages and... just WOW! I'm speechless...
- --belushi81x 15:33, 6 July 2010 (UTC)
- Lol, tell me about it! It's a full day's work just getting rid of the SHITsters. God, I am pissed off at the moment. --Leord 15:39, 6 July 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, 1500 was a... slight hyperbole :) Good to hear the spambot(s) has (have) been stopped.
- I cannot delete pages. Way back then you couldn't find the user rights page, and then we derailed the topic I think. Oh well, doing fine without :P
- Not sure which navboxes you are referring to. Haven't really looked at content pages lately because Blizzard hasn't really released anything (anxiously awaiting BlizzCon), so if you're referring to navboxes on content pages, I haven't seen them yet. --Vipermagi 18:59, 6 July 2010 (UTC)
- But you forgot how to link ;) You guys should be able to make another usergroup that only has Delete rights, or anything else really. As for my interest, I still check pretty much every non-fanmade-space edit that pours through the wiki. I'm no good at adding content, though (what, where, how? No idea), so I don't make many edits. With new content comes new typos however, and that's the gist of what I've fixed up around here ^^
- So how about those navboxes you mentioned?
- EDIT: Oh. The class navbox, I presume. That's pretty awesome. Personally find it a tidbit annoying that the size of it changes dynamically due to the tabbing and different sizes of those, but it's a minor issue at best. Now to hope the spell names don't go too long so the box doesn't stretch in width :) --Vipermagi 18:19, 9 July 2010 (UTC)
- Personally, I don't mind much, but I can see your point. As for the skills, there's no other plausible way, and also, no point in spending loads of time on something that will change in October. I'd much rather re-visit it then. I don't think spell names will be a major deal tbh. Will just have to change the cell widths about a bit if that's the case. OR, if it's a long name, it's usually multiple words, not one long word, so it will break to two lines or the like.
- As for edits, what about you perhaps help me with like making individual item pages for Uniques and Set items in the D2 wiki? It's a fairly straight-forward job, and mostly copy+pasting. Not likely you will make mistakes. ;) It's not great fun, but very very useful in the long run. --Leord 10:28, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- What where and how? :p --Vipermagi 16:12, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
Uniques and Set Items
Like this, the Trang-Oul stuff etc. All those items. I have made some quite advanced templates for it, that will work for D3 later as well (hopefully).
- So I take, for example, BK's two swords. I put the two swords on the Set page in the new template (ex. here), create two new pages (1 per sword), and put the sword data and background in a mold (ex. here).
- Did I get that right, miss anything? --Vipermagi 16:29, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, awesome, it's amazing to ask someone to do something and they understand without massive explanations! :D However, if you do have questions on how some of the templates work, ask me. There might be info missing on the help sections. --Leord 16:31, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- I guess previous experience with content splitting helps a little ;) I'll drop you a line somewhere if I can't figure it out. --Vipermagi 16:33, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- Massive love your way man. I'd really liked to have been done with it ages ago, but just have not had the time!
- It may look a little bit weird without "background", but you can probably find most of the lore for these things, if they exist, in the D3Wiki, or else just leave it looking a little weird, and I can help with lore.
- I suggest just making one piece of background for all of the pieces, and paste it in, to save time, that's what I did. --Leord 16:38, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- How do I list 1h and 2h damage in the Itembox? Looked around the code, but it seems to only accept two values; melee once and ranged once. BK's Sacred Charge can be wielded in one hand as well. --Vipermagi 17:05, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- Long story short: I had to go (which is why I didn't get other sets done today), so I kept the edit hoping for the 2h/1h damage business to be explained, and now I have to shut down the computer. I'm going to save the edits, and check back tomorrow. Additionally, I'll probably split a couple other sets as well tomorrow. --Vipermagi 20:37, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
- Oki, seems I missed that then. I'll try to fix it asap. --Leord 09:18, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- I have updated the itembox now: Just use the same damage indicator as the old, but add "_1h_" in it. Juct check Leord 11:54, 14 July 2010 (UTC) for the legend of how to do it. Other than that, I also wanted to compliment you on your progress. Very well done! :) --
- Thanks (twice) <3 Updating BK's again. I plan to do one set a day, more if I have time to kill.
- Also; I didn't know all sets were 1.10, so I ?'d that one. Meant to ask that, but must've forgotten. Well, you spotted it :) Will keep it in mind for the next set(s).
- Something is causing a major break on Arcanna's Tricks, though. I have no idea what :( --Vipermagi 12:57, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- On it, will shortly make another comment here, just informing you I am on it, found the cause. --Leord 13:31, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- Oki. First off, is there no chance to talk to you directly with icq or msn? Would make things a LOT easier! :P Secondly, I have a few comments. I do NOT know they are all Patch 1.10, but if you add a "?", it kind of fucks up. I am fairly certain they are all 1.10, so if they are not, more skilled people than us can update them imho. If we choose not to display patch, just comment out that choice instead of "?".
- All items must have an ilvl at the moment, that is why some pages fuck up. I will fix it shortly. In either way, even later, make sure that ilvl is commentated out, not set to "?" as it fucks up the templates and categories.
- Type = item type - What I mean is that "type" in the list is the sort of item, not slot. At one place you set "Main Hand" for type, where it probably needed to be "Sword".
- Check out , which is the closest to perfect a set can come.
- Will get right on the ilvl bugs now :)
- --Leord 13:36, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- FIXED! :) Now I'm just gona work on the categories, so they work when no ilvl is added.--Leord 13:42, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- Oki, thanks for a nice chat on MSN. :) I have updated the articles articles, and set an example there. Now we just need to do the rest.
- I will be focusing on nav boxes for the next few weeks, but I will be keeping an eye on what you're doing, and don't hesitate to contact me again on MSN or here. I'll see you tomorrow. :) --Leord 17:05, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
You can add me on MSN if you want. I have my status set to Offline by default, and may or may not respond in a timely fashion. Left my adress in a comment. --Vipermagi 13:49, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- Weeee! --Leord 13:55, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
Monster Pictures DII
I added some pictures to some demons at the d2 wiki, think most of the demons have pictures now. But for some reason I didn't manage to place the pictures correctly, they just ended up behind some text and what not. So i put them under statistics which probably isn't the best position, but what the hell, it's better than no picture at all! Someone who knows this better than me are free to fix it :) --Zukker 11:07, 18 July 2010 (UTC)
- Oh, brilliant. Should not have been missing in the first place, ofc! :) One idea is to simply put them at the very very top of the page, with this code: [[File:VenomLord.jpg|thumb|right|Venom Lord in-game]] Like, put it on the first line, and have just one line break before the rest of the text and wiki code. Take a look at Megademon for an example - I updated it.
- Also, while you're at it, could you fix wrong headlines? Like when they have = instead of ==... You basically just add one "=" per headline. :)
- --Leord 09:15, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
- Fixed both the images and the headlines, hope things look better :). There is a lot of monsters that is missing images. I'll see when I have more time on my hands to fix those.
- --Zukker 10:10, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, cool! No rush, and we're gonna need to make more updates to monsters as well in the futures, to bring them up to quality with the D3Wiki monster pages. Great info gathering, but also good to get it all looking great as well! ;)
- --Leord 10:14, 19 July 2010 (UTC)
Set and Uniques
Apologies for the late reply to you, my talk page spontaneously self-deleting didn't exactly help. I'd like to update item sets and unique items, but having looked through the bowels of the help section and whatnot, I can't find any templates. Are there any? I'm probably just useless and can't find them, but if you point me to them I can help you update some of the lesser used sets. (eg Hwanin's Majesty).
--Ailelya 15:17, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
- Hey Ailelya! No probs mate. :) It might have been a situation where we had probs with backups in ancient times, but never the less, let's get to the topic at hand!
- I have actually not yet made proper "templates" for these items yet (we call them boilerplates on a wiki though...). Me, Vipermagi (and sometimes Masofarian and/or Cogo) have done updates, and simply used older items as base.
- Take a look at the . It's the main template used on item pages. It's way to complex for me to ask you to edit it, but if you look at the "Legend" there, it has all the variables briefly explained. Of course, you'd have to use slightly different variables on uniques than your average Item Set, but quite similar.
- It's probably best if you try starting with creating an Item Set. The most polished one to use as a "template" for making new pages would be . Take a look at how the main page is done by clicking "edit", and then each sub-page, and do it as similar as possible. Just copy all the code to your new page, and start updating it from there. Don't be afraid to ask me or Vipermagi for help.
- I hope this is not dropping you into the deep end of the pool, you seemed to be able to find your way around a wiki. If there's any questions at all, just ask! --Leord 15:26, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
- I've just finished doing the Hwanin's set - look in the [history] to see how badly I ballsed it up. This is my first time in a wiki!! The page is all working now, go look at it to see it now. ohhh... my precious...
- I can do unique items, they are much easier. If there is a boilerplate for those, I'd be honored to be pointed to it.
- I found the one for the sets: it was in the section about set items rather than the boilerplate section. If I can, I'll put a copy of it there too.
- And to think all I have of the set is two copies of the weapon!
- --Ailelya 18:14, 21 July 2010 (UTC)
- If that's your first Wiki experiences, I am super-impressed! :) I'll help you with some pointers on how to do it in a bit, but that is an amazing start. There's some small things on how to make a wiki page that needs to be dealt with. Try to use the same headlines as that Leord 10:33, 23 July 2010 (UTC) . You got all the complex and hard bits right though, which would have been more complex to explain. I'm very impressed. Get back to you in a few hours! --
Hi, Leord, I have news that you may not like.
I had proposed my ideas in Blizzard forums just as you know. There was no response from them, not a word. I have dreams here - i wish these ideas to be realized in some game, I wish to play with the characters I created. But this will not happen in Blizzard games. That's what I see. Since the lack of interest from Blizzard side and according to the thing that my ideas are more suitalbe for another game by Bio Ware, I think that I will delete my Fan Class Propositions and some monsters too. Also the Avien Continent.
Yes the axe is falling now and soon I will ask of you to remove the links. I am sorry for all this, but after a deep reflection I decided to do it. There is no point to feed hopes for nothing and giving your best to someone that doesn't even dare to say his opinion. So... that's it. Actually the links may remain but this message will be everywhere replacing the text and pictures.
I wish to thank you for your appreciation and all the help you provided. You are the best, man! And I really apologize for this. But I have to chase my dreams and seems like Blizzard are not going to help me.
--Veskin7 Bukito 15:52, 23 July 2010 (UTC)
- Hey Veskin7 Bukito,
- I'm sorry you have received no replies from Blizzard, but I see no point deleting your content. Fan classes, fan monsters and other things related to fan-made content is just that - fanmade. I doubt Blizzard (or BioWare, or other developers) would use any material not made by their employees due to copyright issues. Also, think about it. If you already published the monsters (and they appear later) that's spoiling story arcs etc.
- If you want to be part of the creative process of creating games, you need to get yourself employed by them. This is super-hard, but with the right motivation, you can do anything.
- The content you have created here works as great inspiration to others, and creates a rich fan-environment. While it's unlikely any monster or class you created here will be taken on to a game directly (Diablo or otherwise), it's definitely possible that some ideas and concepts related to them might be. I think it would be a great shame to lose out of some of the community creations because Blizzard did not pick it up.
- Besides, having some of your stuff published on a site shows that you have creativity and imagination. While you might not be able to use these monsters specifically - unless you create your own game - they work fine as a "portfolio" for you that you can link people and possible employers to.
- You have spent a great deal of energy on these cool creations, and I think it's a waste to not let people enjoy them. Look at each page: thousands of people have seen them, and you get your name out there. That is one of the most important aspects to ever get a foothold in the industry.
- Honestly, I think you should continue to make fan content while you are trying to get in to Blizzard or BioWare. It's great practice to make you better at thinking creatively, to draw and to write. Or, at the very least, keep these up as a permanent advertisement of "I am Veskin7 Bukito, and I am obviously creative!" --Leord 09:48, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- Thank you for the wise words. Yes my dreams seem impossible at first sight. I don't really attempt to get a job at Blizzard or Bio Ware - I am just not qualified, I study Ecology. But what I really wish is to make my ideas alive. Yes people will see that I am creative. That's good. But If my stuff doesn't get appreciation from the professionals, then the joy will be the half. Yes I am happy that many people read my ideas, and they might be happy too. But that doesn't make my dreams real. I have a goal to reach and I see no reason to stop trying.
- Here's what I'll do:
- I will rearrange the Characters background stories and then add them to Dragon Age wiki. That is the game that I think is more suitable for my stuff. Then on my user page and on all my existing materials here I will leave a message that explains my reasons to rotate and there will be a link to the new place they are posted. That's how Diablo fans will be able to see what I once created for them. Actually there are many pageviews here but zero comments, which doesn't make me so happy. I think it will be a good start after all. A new beginning. The only thing i am sorry for is that I will rarely communicate with you guys. I just hope we will still be friends and I will notify you if some good things happen in Dragon Age wiki. This is not a goodbye. Best wishes! --Veskin7 Bukito 14:16, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- The sad truth is that most people will never get their time as a game developer. You should not do things if your ONLY reason for doing it is to get THAT piece of info out there. Try to see each and every thing you do as a 1/1000 part to become what you want: Part of Blizz/BioWare.
- Look here: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2037540/1/Sketches?h=cf0060 I am pretty good at drawing, but it will take a LOT more drawings to get Blizz attention. Try to not get so hung up about these things.
- Also, people are generally crap at commenting. Don't let it drag you down. :)
- As for Dragon Age: They might not allow fan-made monsters there. Make sure you are allowed to add anything, or it might get deleted. Secondly, there's no point in deleting these ones.
- Everything you do is always one step to get better than you were, and there's never a reason to delete something old - just make new stuff! Or, perhaps edited stuff in this case, but in essence, that is then new!
- If you ARE allowed to make fan-made stuff on Dragon Age wiki, then do the re-writes, and re-upload stuff there etc, but also link back to the original articles as source. The more links you have, the better chance you have in a few years to get somewhere.
- As for Ecology: Only 10% or so of original Blizzard employees actually have related degrees. Most people get a degree and then go and do something else. I don't even HAVE a degree! Don't let that put you down either. Just write, draw and all those things. Share with people.
- BUT! Don't get hooked on the thought Blizzard or BioWare will magically pick you up, it doesn't work like that! You need to do your work for YOURSELF, because YOU like to do it, and then you have a chance of going somewhere higher. Blizzard or BioWare, or any other developer will NEVER take ideas from random people like that. You need to be happy with yourself, and then expand.
- Keep doing stuff, here or elsewhere, and keep getting your name out there. That's the only way to do it unless you have a university degree in game development, or graphics design. --Leord 14:56, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- I thank you man. I am happy to find out that you think in reality. What I am dreaming about... my friends say that I am crazy. They say "You are nobody! How do you expect to get their attention? How do you hope to tell them what to do and they listen?" Well i just don't give up and will definitely keep doing this.
- Your words helped me out. The articles will remain here. The only thing changed will be a message explaining my reasons to try my luck in Dragon Age. :)
- The Dragon warrior was deleted but now is back. Links are alive.
- You are so talented! Nice drawings! Keep it up! :)--Veskin7 Bukito 09:05, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
- Thank you! I really appreciate that! :) You are a good drawer as well as a good writer, and you should not give up. This industry works in mysterious ways. A good start - depending on what you want to do - is simply to keep writing backgrounds, stories and drawing concept art to get better and better and better. As I said, most people there are not in the company because of their university degrees, but for their interest and skill.
- You should also consider picking up 3D modelling, as Blizzard repeatedly have said they want their artists to be able to both make images as well as create those images in a computer later.
- So, might be a good idea to DO modify the monsters and classes, and adding them as fan stuff on the Dragon Age wiki, but don;t forget to link back to the originals as "References". More links, the better ;) --Leord 09:34, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
Been a long time, old friend
It's been a while Leord, how ya doing? how has the wiki been? I'm sorry i didnt help much, Diablo 3 didnt get any new info (as far as i know), so i just stopped. Just stopping by to remember the stuff i learned here, gotta do some things on another wiki. I'll maybe check whats new, maybe edit a few things... who knows.
P.S, forgot to sign.... as usual :)
--DxAxxxTyriel 15:10, 7 August 2010 (UTC)
Need a little help here
Hello there! we`ve been trying to contact You, so, decided to post here. The problem is, that at the moment we are developing an informal fan-site for the game Diablo 3 (Russia). We`re big fans of Diablo Wiki , and, actually often use your material. If it wasn`t Your help, our Bestiary would be very scanty.So.. we saw the post "Contributor Websites of DiabloWiki", and decided to cry out loud, that we`re willing to appear on DiabloWiki. We`d Love to be a Participating Website. Although we are just developing, the audience is gradually added. All the posts, taken from www.diablowiki.net have the link to native pages. Like it`s said - Linking and increasing Page Rank. Of course,we have Your link among the Friends of our site. If there`s Anything You`d want us to Do - Please Answer! Our site - http://diablolive.ru/ .Help Russian fans - add us :)
The Last Race
Hi Leord, I created a new page under "Current Events" in the Diablo Wiki II where I propose a challenge race while we wait for Diablo III to come out. What do you think? --Widus 08:27, 11 August 2011 (CEST)
Good to See You Again
Hello. What are you guys doing? Hi, Leord, hey it's been a long time... :) Man I'm so happy to be here again! I've been away... away from everything I was doing here. I had to abandon my projects since I couldn't attract the attention of Blizzard, I could not make them take a good look on my stuff. Actually as I look back to these things I really see that I was not good enough. But I never stopped trying.
When I left my projects, I was really sad, because I had lost contact with such nice guys like you, like Holyknight and everybody else.
I have to say that I was thinking about all of you pretty regularly during the last... two years? That long? Oh my... time flies.
Anyway - with my projects I was trying to get a chance to study the things I want, but couldn't afford. I wish to be a Concept Artist and later - a 3D artist.
So months after I stopped working on my Diablo stuff, I resumed my work on some other old project of mine. I found a new inspiration and continued doing what I have been doing here - creating concepts.
Here is my new site.
It describes my work for the last years. Actually I found out that creating such concepts is my passion. I am sorry, this is not something dedicated to Diablo of Blizzard, but you can still recognize me there. Probably it was crazy to do things like this again, but I guess that one day I will just do it right.
I hope you like this.
Check the site, tell me what you think, see if something is not working properly, and please stay in touch. And I promise you that as soon as I start studying the things I want, I will get back on the projects I left here, because they must be finished.
I wish for all of you a cozy, warm Christmas full of love and shared dreams. --Veskin7 Bukito 18:21, 9 December 2011 (CET)
Copyright IncGamers Ltd 2016