Set Dungeons were added to the game in Patch 2.4 in January 2016. They are special, custom-designed dungeons that each correspond to a particular class Item Set, and can only be entered, solo, by characters geared in the corresponding item set. There are 24 set dungeons, one each for the 24 item sets, 4 per class.
Set Dungeons are non-random in layout and difficulty, (the difficulty of the particular game does not affect Set Dungeon content), and each presents a specific challenge. Players must complete the dungeons within a short period of time (4:30) while achieving several objectives. These always relate to the Item Set that dungeon is themed around, and require things like: killing all enemies or all elites with the special skill of that set, not running out of resource, maintaining a buff for at least 90 seconds, etc.
Set Dungeons are tricky, but not risky. The monsters are not very high level (corresponding to about Torment 4) and dying in a Set Dungeon (even in Hardcore mode) simply fails the challenge and resets the player to the dungeon entrance. Players can attempt the same Set Dungeon repeatedly, in the same game, until they triumph or give up.
The reward for completing a set dungeon comes in the form of achievements, rather than any radical drop of gold or items. There is also a special banner sigil unlocked with each completed set dungeon, and finishing suites of them may result in additional achievement awards.
Finding Set Dungeons
Character who are geared out in all six pieces (or five + RoRG) of any of the 24 class sets can enter the related Set Dungeon if they find the entrance. Once a character is wearing gear with the six piece set bonus, a monster may randomly drop a lore book giving a hint about the location of the entrance to the appropriate Set Dungeon. (Or a player can always get the lore book via the Tome of Set Dungeons.
These lore keys are not required to enter -- players don't click the lore to open the portal or anything like that -- and the lore clues have no purpose or value other than as interesting tidbits.
Each of the 24 Set Dungeons has an entrance in a set location, and can only ever be entered in that spot. The Set Dungeons reset after each trial, and can be attempted repeatedly in the same game.
Set Dungeons: Full List
Each character class has 4 set dungeons, one each for their 4 class Item Sets.
Barbarian Set Dungeons
Set Dungeon of Immortal King's Call
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, The portal is placed. In the bones of a once great city, near the main entrance, where destruction rained down upon the brave…
- Location: Act III, Ruins of Sescheron.
- Kill 168 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Kill every Elite using the 250% damage bonus. (0/7)
- Maintain Wrath of the Berserker for a constant 120 seconds.
Set Dungeon of Might of the Earth
- Lore: ... as that proved inaccessible, I was forced to place it outside the court of the lying emperor. — Brother Althun
- Location: Act II, City of Caldeum.
Set Dungeon of Legacy of Raekor
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, I have done as instructed, and placed the portal where torches burn at the feet of ruined columns, and the water is the color of blood…
- Location: Act V, Overgrown Ruins.
- Kill 375 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Hit 15 different enemies with a single Furious Charge. (0/6)
- Hit 15 different enemies with a 1500% damage bonus spender.
Set Dungeon of Wrath of the Wastes
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, Good news: I put the portal in a place accessible to only the mightiest. It lies in an ancient and maddening fortress, in a far away land. There are many strange pathways, but the portal is very near the entrance.
- Location: Act V, Pandemonium Fortress Level 1
- Kill 161 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Rend 10 different enemies at least once. (0/3)
- Do not take any physical damage for the duration of the dungeon.
Crusader Set Dungeons
Set Dungeon of Armor of Akkhan
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, The portal is in place. It lies beneath the main part of the keep. To think, the armorers will walk past it every day and never know it is there...
- Location: Act III, The Armory
Set Dungeon of Roland's Legacy
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, I followed a patch of road in the desert. To the east, it led to a camp where deranged cultists keep their prisoners. I left them to their devices, and put the portal on the road to the west, where it ends...
- Location: Act II, Road to Alcarnus
Set Dungeon of Seeker of Light
- Lore: ... into a passage underground, where no danger lurked, surprisingly enough. This is where I put the portal, although my boots and pants got soaked in the process. -Sister Morfan
- Location: Act II, Ancient Waterway > Waterlogged Passage
Set Dungeon of Thorns of the Invoker
- Lore: ...lacking any other option, I put the portal near the most unfortunate town I could find. It is on a road that looks down on the town, and leads to its gates. -Brother Jurmu
- Location: Act I, Overlook Road (Outside of Tristram, to the very starting point.)
Demon Hunter Set Dungeons
Set Dungeon of the Marauder
- Lore: ...between the bridge and the crossing I found a demonic ballista. I continued toward the crossing, and there I saw a platform that looked down over lava. That is where the portal now abides. -Brother Aweebul
- Location: Act III, Fields of Slaughter
Set Dungeon of Natalya's Vengeance
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, It is done. It lays waiting, as the old church burns at the hands of the Coven. —Sister Nyssa
Location: Act I, Wortham (near chapel)
Set Dungeon of The Shadow's Mantle
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, The way was more difficult than we had imagined, but I have placed and opened the portal on the pathway to the Heart of the Fortress. —Brother Lyam
Location: Act V, Pandemonium Fortress Level 3
Set Dungeon of Unhallowed Essence
- Lore: ...I killed any number of sand wasps and Lacuni as I followed the path south, and where it veered west, I placed the portal near an old ruined cart. Now I'm going to continue west and have some wine at the bazaar. -Brother Althun
- Location: Act II, Howling Plateau
Monk Set Dungeons
Set Dungeon of Inna's Mantra
- Lore: ...with the only minor inconvenience of having to kill some desert merchants, using the causeway to peddle their wares, who happened upon me as I was completing my task. —Elder Brother Morbihan
- Location: Act II, Flooded Causeway (via the Caldeum Baazar)
Set Dungeon of Monkey King's Garb
- Lore: ... am astounded that Brother Lyam was able to find a way… the Pinnacle? I would have not thought it possible. —Brother Draves
- Location: Act IV, The Pinnacle of Heaven
Set Dungeon of Raiment of a Thousand Storms
- Lore: ...amongst the old ruins, where the shattered houses of the long dead tremble, waiting to collapse. —Sister Nyssa
- Location: Act I, The Old Ruins
Set Dungeon of Uliana's Stratagem
- Lore: The Alliance of the Dying Sun, In order to find the latest placement, one must travel to the cathedral of the false prophet, north of the enclave that withstood Urzael's wrath. It is there that...
- Location: Act V, Zakarum Cathedral
- Kill 196 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Kill 12 different enemies at once with Exploding Palm. (0/3)
- Take no fire damage for the duration of the dungeon.
Witch Doctor Set Dungeons
Set Dungeon of Helltooth Harness
- Lore: ...and I placed it there. I was gravely disappointed that I did not encounter the Mad King himself, being so near his lair. — Elder Brother Lyam
- Location: Act I, The Royal Crypts
- Kill 230 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Kill 20 enemies with a single Wall of Death 4 times. (0/4)
- Do not take any Poison damage.
Set Dungeon of Raiment of the Jade Harvester
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, I have placed it in the antechamber bathed in light, where hope grows eternal. I should hope that you shall never doubt me or my abilities again. —Elder Brother Lyam
- Location: Act IV, The Gardens of Hope
Set Dungeon of Spirit of Arachyr
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, As per my instructions, it is hidden in a shallow oasis pool to the south west, where man has altered the water’s flow. - Brother Draves
- Location: Act II, Dhalgur Oasis
Set Dungeon of Zunimassa's Haunt
- Lore: To the Alliance of the Dying Sun: I placed the portal near the core. The heat was unbearable, I felt as if I was descending into the very pits of the Burning Hells. — Sister Morfan
- Location: Act III, The Core of Arreat
- Kill 132 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Grip 125 different enemies in the primary zone of Grasp of the Dead. (0/125)
- Do not allow a single enemy into melee range.
Wizard Set Dungeons
Set Dungeon of Delsere's Magnum Opus
- Lore: Alliance of the Dying Sun, I found the best place for this portal. It waits in the snow, on the northern corner of the battlements in the sky...
- Location: Likely location: Act III, Skycrown Battlements.
- Kill 297 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Slow Time 30 enemies at once. (0/3)
- Reflect projectiles. (0/200)
Set Dungeon of Firebird's Finery
- Lore: ... by a lost soul who tried in vain to escape the burning desert that hides the forbidden archives. —Sister Chakin
- Location: Act II, Desolate Sands
- Kill 355 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Set 45 enemies on fire within 3 seconds. (0/3)
- Kill enemies with the Meteor that revives you. (0/20)
Set Dungeon of Tal Rasha's Elements
- Lore: ... on an old road out of the cursed town, near the old tree where they hung the bodies of those thought to be meddling in the dark arts. – Sister Nyssa
- Location: Act I, Old Tristram Road.
- Kill 155 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Kill enemies while at 4 Tal Rasha stacks. (0/90)
- Do not get hit by a single Exorcist.
Set Dungeon of Vyr's Amazing Arcana
- Lore: ... atop a ruined bridge at a war ravaged crossing, nearly peering into the abyss. – Brother Kels
- Location: Act III, Rakki's Crossing
- Kill 565 monsters without taking fatal damage.
- Reach 100 stacks whilst in Arcane form. (0/3)
- Kill enemies whilst in Arcane form.
This video, courtesy of JHow Gaming, shows all 24 set dungeon entrances and completion requirements. View it via You Tube if the embed does not work properly.
Additional images related to Set Dungeons.