Bloodthirst is a Barbarian passive skill unlocked at Level 10, which causes the Barbarian to gain life based on the amount of damage he deals, in a traditional leech-skill.
Bloodthirst is a simple skill, if you were to look at it through the WarCraft II (or DotA) perspective, you would understand this skill as a 10% lifesteal. In Diablo II most skills didn't give life per hit, but there were health leeching prefixes on weapons, which could make any class gain health on hits. This skill is aimed to make the Barbarian less worried about health during battles, and should probably be taken as soon as possible if the player wishing to make tanking a breeze. It can be assumed that other skills which deal damage will also bring in health.
"Compassion is weakness. To press the advantage when an opponent calls for mercy is the way of true power." - Halaberd the Conqueror
The following Barbarian skills deal damage and will grant life to the Barbarian when Bloodthirst is active:
- Bash - Hits a targeted enemy for extra damage and may cause knockback.
- Hammer of the Ancients - Uses a mystical hammer to strike nearby enemies and increases critical hit chance.
- Cleave - Cleaves an enemy for extra damage, and causes lesser damage to other nearby enemies.
- Leap Attack - Leaps through the air, damaging all monsters close to the landing spot.
- Weapon Throw - Hurls a mystical throwing weapon at an enemy, damaging and slowing it.
- Ground Stomp - Shakes the ground to damage and stun all nearby enemies.
- Rend - Performs a vicious attack on all nearby enemies, damaging them with multiple strikes.
- Frenzy - Swings for moderate damage, but each swing increases attack speed.
- Revenge - Inflicts damage to all nearby enemies and leeches Life with each hit.
- Furious Charge - Rushes forward, damaging enemies at the destination, and inflicting minor damage to enemies along the way.
- Overpower - If the Barbarian has achieved a critical hit, deals extra weapon damage to all nearby targets.
- Seismic Slam - Emits a wave of destruction that damages and knocks back all targets in front of the Barbarian.
- Earthquake - Shakes the ground to deal massive damage, and additional damage over time, to all nearby monsters.
- Ancient Spear - Throws a spear to snag and haul in an enemy, slowing and damaging the target.
- Whirlwind - Delivers multiple attacks to all enemies in the Barbarian's path.
In addition, the following Barbarian skills have rune effects that deal damage and will also benefit from Bloodthirst:
Bloodshed - Critical hits cause an explosion, damaging all nearby enemies.
Contempt for Weakness - Reflects ignored damage back at enemies.
Bravado - Knocks back and damages nearby enemies.
Gangway - Slams through enemies, knocking them back and inflicting extra weapon damage.
Run Like the Wind - Tornadoes rage in the wake of the Sprint, each one inflicting extra weapon damage.
Slaughter - Any enemy killed while Wrath of the Berserker is active explodes, dealing massive damage to nearby targets.
Arreat's Wail - Activating Wrath of the Berserker knocks back and deals massive damage to all nearby enemies.
Passive skills have had a long and storied history. When Diablo III debuted at the WWI 2008, skill trees included passive skills, much like in Diablo II. In 2010, it was announced that passive skills had been renamed traits and separated out from active skills. At the July 2011 Press Event, Blizzard announced that passive skills were once again in the game, replacing the traits system.
Bloodthirst is unique in that it was an original passive skill and is once again a passive skill, but was never a trait. It is the same skill, but the stats may have been tweaked slightly.
For the July 2011 Press Event, it had a listed level as 1 (presumably so players could try it out from the beginning), but for the beta, it was a level 10 passive.