From Diablo Wiki
Melee weapons are weapons used in hand-to-hand combat. These differ from Caster Weapons and Ranged Weapons. The full list of weapon types and functions is not known, so consider this a provisional categorization.
Also see the Class-Specific Weapons info, since many weapon types in Diablo III are stratified by classes.
Known Melee Weapons
The following melee weapon types have been confirmed as returning in Diablo III. These weapons were seen in gameplay movies, during play demos at Blizzcon, or were mentioned by Blizzard employees. 
- Axes -- One-handed and two-handed versions.
- Fist -- Fist weapons are used by Monks for hand-to-hand combat, and can be dual-wielded. They are similar to the claws from Diablo 2.
- Maces -- One-handed and larger two-handed types are available.
- Polearms -- Large two-handed weapons. Barbarian only?
- Staves -- Short staves are like larger wands, and can be held one-handed by spell-casters. Longer staves are Monk weapons.
- Spears -- Barbarians only?
- Swords -- One-handed and two-handed have been seen. Some classes can not use 2H swords.
The following items are equipped in the weapon slot and may be used for melee, but only as a last resort. Their modifiers work to improve spell-casting, not physical damage. Only Wizards and Witch Doctors can use these Caster Weapons.